“Happiness is knowing there is cake in the oven”
- 114g/ 4oz Sugar
- 114g/ 4oz Flour
- 114g/ 4oz Butter
- 2 Eggs
- 12 cupcake cases
For the topping:
- Icing sugar
- Pink and white mini marshmallows
- Milk chocolate buttons
- Flying saucers OR giant pink marshmallows
(flavouring of your choice, I used orange essence but can use anything such as vanilla, mint, strawberry, whatever you fancy!)
- Preheat oven to 220’c and place 12 muffin cases in a muffin tin, I used green cases so they look like grass.
- First add the butter and sugar into a bowl and mix together until creamy,
- Using a whisk, electric is easier but handheld is fine too! Add in the flavouring, one egg and half the flour and whisk together until it’s all mixed in.
- Add in the other egg and the rest of the flour and again mix until it is all combined, and is a creamy texture.
- Spoon equal amounts into the cupcake cases, you want them to be quite high as you want the cooked buns to be slightly above the cases so theyre nice and round.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, but check after 10 because some ovens cook quicker than others, and some people like things browner than others! So check after 10 minutes and take out the oven when the tops of the cupcakes are golden brown.
- When cooked, take out of the oven & place on a cooling rack and leave to cool completely, if you ice them before they’re cool the icing will sweat and separate and the cakes will go soggy and horrible.
- For the topping you need to mix together some butter, icing sugar and a little bit of water, I don’t have any specific measurements for this as I kind of make it up as I go. If you put a spoonful of butter into a bowl and use a knife to soften it, add some icing sugar and a few drops of water and mix together until creamy you’ll find a consistency you are happy with.
- Decorate the cakes one at a time so that the icing doesn’t harden at all on the cakes.
- Cover the cupcakes in a thin layer of icing and begin placing the mini marshmallows on the cakes. Do half pink and half white.
- Stick one chocolate button on each of the white cupcakes slightly off center and draw two small lines with a knife to make the nose. With some of the other chocolate buttons cut two curved edges off of one button, kind of like this… (these will be the ears) See the photo for where to place them. And Place two dots of icing on each button for eyes
- For the pigs, take a packet of flying saucers (you can use anything big and pink really flying saucers were all I had but I was pleased with the outcome!) cut them in half through the middle so you just have one side of the saucer (the pink side, without the sherbert) and place on all of the pink cupcakes.
- Stick two raisins (or anything black/brown) for the nostrils on top of the saucer, and do the same thing you did for the sheep ears for the pigs. I found some black fondant which I rolled into small balls for the eyes but again, use anything you have! Raisins would also work as eyes!
Hope you enjoy making these! Send me the photos if you do make some, I really enjoyed making them and they look so cute!